Tuesday, January 10, 2012

So, today was a very interesting day. Guess when the assigned time for service is on Mondays? 4 pm!!!  So, Bradley and I got a lot of reading done today. It was very relaxing. Being in a new culture is an interesting and enjoyable change of pace, even if at times it is less than the height of efficiency. We actually started at 3 with return visits and then met at the kingdom hall at 4. Isn't it pretty?

Then we set out to do street witnessing!! A nice change of pace since we have only done census work up until now and guess what? I got a return visit!! This is exciting because it is my first one here and return visits are not very common in street witnessing in a completely tourist area. We also placed 4 tracts to English speakers before a car pulled to the side of the road ahead of us. Two women got out and tried to open the hood. Their car was smoking a little so we tried to help them. The engine looked perfect, only the radio was smoking. They started to take all of there stuff out of the trunk which I thought was an overreaction. But it turned out that was wise because the situation escalated just a little...

Suddenly Vina had a new tourist attraction. Everyone from the beach went to see what the giant pillar of black smoke was about. Everyone in the service group wanted to see our pictures. The moral is to make sure your electronics are wired correctly in your car and if you do find yourself in that situation and would like to save the car, disconnect the battery. Learn something something new everyday :)

Later on, while I am in the Kingdom Hall bathroom, the door and the windows start shaking. I thought my service group was being immature but it turned out to be an EARTHQUAKE!! It was a 4 point something. Only two days before I had been the only one in the group who had not felt one and was a bit jealous. How cool is that.

Another great highlight of the day came later...



Very very good ice cream here, it was coconut and mocha and more like gelato even though they call it ice cream. I was the only one who got some and was affectionately labeled a Chancho (fat pig here in Chile)

That's all I have for you right now and as a friend of mine would say,

Toodles

4 comments:

  1. Talked about a packed day! You guys are off to a great start, and it is really encouraging me for my soontobe territory. *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Brandon! That's is awesome you have an RV! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I about smiled throughout the entire post and especially at the end! :-) Hehehe. Ice cream looks so delicious and I bet are fantastic there! Yay for a RV! Glad everyone was okay despite the 'quake! Hmm I like that salute...so...Toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are off to a great start! Great adventure and you look so happy there chancho! Look forward to chatting with you!

    ReplyDelete