Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Next Stop!!!

Hey all, sorry for lack of posting lately.  Brandon and I have been trying to get in some killer field service this week because tomorrow we leave for Argentina!!! Justin, our other housemate, needs to leave the country because his tourist visa is up, so we decided to join him for a long weekend in Mendoza, Argentina.  Looks like a pretty swanky place with lots of fun stuff to do.  Apparently it is very hot there though (and that is according to sisters serving here originally from Florida) so hopefully we survive.


It has also been rather toasty here on the coast these past few weeks.  When I say toasty, in this instance I mean Chilean toasty (about 75 or 80) so it has been great for service, though standing in the sun too long takes its toll.  As you can see though, we take some short breaks to see the sights :) This week we were in Concon and their claim to fame is the dunes.  If we hadn't been in service we probably would have climbed them and sand-boarded down them, so we will have to stop back on a free day.  The nice thing about Concon is that there are many English speakers there.  We spent the whole morning walking across the neighborhoods to speak to the contacts we already know, and we still had half of them left by 1! No Bible studies yet, for either Brandon or myself, but hopefully soon.
On another bright note Brandon and I have checked out our first territory and we now have a phone so we can't get lost anywhere. Most of the territory will be searching for English so we will be walking tons of blocks!! We also have a list of known English contacts so hopefully something pans out. Another major part of service is teaching all of our Chilean friends English.  The questions they come up with make you realize that native speakers don't think about the language they are speaking.  For example, people wanted me and Brandon to explain the rules of phrasal verbs to them. I never realized that I say so many things where the definition of the words have nothing to do with what the phrases translate into. All of their questions make me remember some more English rules though and keep me on my toes.
One of the highlights of the past weekend was a sushi night!!! As you know Chile is mostly coastline so there is plenty of fish to find in the markets.  Our family is known for their sushi making skills, so we feasted! The most unusual was the breaded and deep fried sushi, which had a very unique flavor, but may have been my favorite of the evening. To all of my Wisconsinites, I have heard of all the snow you have gotten I will hold a beach day in your honor and bask in the Argentinean sun for you.



2 comments:

  1. The sushi looks great! Have a wonderful time in Argentina!!!! So happy for you all to get to play there! Jehovah is surely blessing your efforts in many ways. Looking forward to hear about your trip there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would have to agree Bradley that the Sushi was a major highlight!!! OoOoOo ARGENTINA!!! Maybe that'll be the NEXT place you two get to go together. Also, just because you have a phone...does not mean that you CAN'T get lost anywhere. But I am sure it makes it better to know you two do have a phone. Oh, and I (on behalf of Matt and I) do not accept your apology for lack of posting lately. Of course, don't FORGET us (that's impossible anyway!), but certainly don't feel the need to apologize if you haven't posted in a while. Go. Have fun. You guys may tell us all about everything when you guys come back! Roughly one more month! Toodles Chanchos.

    ReplyDelete